QuickBooks generates lots of users around the world due to its top features, dynamic tools, and affordable pricing. However, some users are still confused about the location of the gear icon. While dropping many queries, most of them come with the same question asking “Where is the gear icon in QuickBooks”?
If you also come here to find out the answer then make sure to read the whole guide. By the end, you will resolve every query like where to locate the gear icon and how to get back the gear icon, and lots more. So, let’s move together into the guide and learn various things associated with the topic.
Where is the Gear Icon in QuickBooks?
The gear icon is located at the upper edge of the company name. You can find it between the create menu (+) and help tab (?) on several versions of QuickBooks like 2013, 2017, 2018, and 2020. Instead of gear, the icon is also acknowledged as a wheel and setting icon. QuickBooks has designed it by adding two icons “+ and gear“.
This icon contains the tools, settings, lists, and company. Clicking on it would provide users access to the following features. We will get to know more about these features after learning the definition.
What is a Gear Symbol?
QuickBooks gear icon has lots more than you thought of. Not only the user gets into the various features like reviewing routine transactions, managing charts of accounts, converting corporate information, and services placement but also it provides you access to the atmosphere menu.
In short, the gear icon helps in regulating the working status of QuickBooks. Also, enables the user to deal with daily tasks. Now, explore the features and services within the Gear icon.
Services and Features of the Gear Icon
Lots of features are provided within the gear icon that a user can access easily. We will explore what things are covered under these features. So, let’s explore.
- Settings: The feature enables you to update the company data, set up fields, and use templated within the transactions.
- Lists: Click on this tab and view the list of services and products and recurring records.
- Tools: This tab helps in reconciling with the bank and setting the budget. The user can easily import the items list and chart of account with this service.
- Company: This is the last feature that assists you to manage the whole QuickBooks users and their accounts.
How to Locate the Gear Icon in QuickBooks Desktop 2020
At times, users find issues while accessing the gear icon on the QuickBooks desktop. They may end up not locating it. This scenario could be quite problematic and agitating as you have to stop all the ongoing tasks while accessing some features within the gear icon.
Well, this happened because of some changes made within the icon. However, you can still have it by refreshing the QuickBooks account. This way the gear icon becomes visible on the screen. Although, if this would not help then make sure to try out these troubleshooting solutions.
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Software in Private Window
If refreshing QuickBooks would not help then make sure to get into the steps below to conduct one more solution. Just try to log into the QuickBooks account while opening an incognito browser.
Pro Tip: Shortcut keys provided below will help you to find out the said browser.
- Safari Browser: Command + Shift + N
- Google Chrome: Ctrl + Shift + N
- Mozilla Firefox: Ctrl + Shirt + P
- Internet Explorer: Ctrl + Shirt + P
You will definitely locate the gear icon with this solution.
Solution 2: Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Now, try to clear the browser cache and cookies if you still cannot find out the gear icon in QuickBooks desktop 2020. Below are provided the steps for different internet browsers. Therefore, directly jump on them.
- Access the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Hit the history tab.
- Click on the Clear Recent History.
Tip: If the menu bar is not appeared then make sure to hit the Alt key.
- Consequently, tap the Time range to clear to choose the appropriate range.
- Also, select Everything when want to clear the cache from the start.
- Thereafter, head towards the arrow placed beside the Details tab.
- Click on the options that you no longer want.
- Alternatively, each item can also be selected.
- Subsequently, choose the option Clear Now.
- Access your QuickBooks Online program and examine if you find out the icon or not.
Safari 8 or Later
- Click on the Safari menu.
- Choose any of the following Clear History and Website Data or Clear History.
- Pick the time period during which you want to delete the cache.
- Hit the tab named Clear History tab.
- Meanwhile, head towards the Safari tab.
- Click Quit Safari.
After successfully conducting this procedure just get back to your device and examine whether the issue gets fixed or not.
- Open the Microsoft Edge.
- Head towards the upper right side.
- Click on the Hub icon.
- Thereafter, choose the History button.
- Choose the tab named Clear all History.
- You are required to choose Browsing History now.
- Tap on the following things Cached data and files and Cookies and saved website data.
- Hit the option named Clear.
- You can easily exit the browser once getting the “All Clear” message on the screen.
- Finally, just examine the issue by opening your QuickBooks.
Google Chrome is widely used around the world. Make sure to clear the cache by following these steps.
- Open Google Chrome on the system.
- Head towards the top right corner.
- You will see three vertical dots, make sure to click on the same.
- Scroll the mouse below and tap Clear Browser Data.
- After that, head towards the Advanced button.
- Make sure to put a mark on the following items.
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
- Browsing History
- Download History
- Once done with the following things, just scroll down to the drop-down menu of Time Range.
- Choose the time period for the longer you want to clear the cache.
- If you want to clear the cache from the beginning then tap the All-Time button.
- After conducting these steps, try to apply folders.
- Furthermore, choose Clear Data.
- Try to relaunch QuickBooks Online.
- Just see if the gear icon is found or not.
- Start the Opera browser.
- Tap the Menu bar.
- Choose Settings.
- Thereafter, click on Privacy & Security button.
- Make sure to choose the tab named Clear Browsing data.
- Then, you need to hit the option The Beginning of time.
- You can get into it by scrolling through the drop-down menu of Obliterate for the following items.
- Once done, choose any of the following.
- Download History
- Browsing History
- Cached Images and Files
- Cookies and other site data.
- Meanwhile, choose Clear Browsing Data.
- Just access the browser and open your QuickBooks.
If all two solutions would not work out then try to conduct some other advanced fixes like:
Other Advanced Fixes
- Verify Internet Explorer Settings
- Run QuickBooks in the compatible browser
- Use Internet Explorer as the default browser
- Reset Web browser
We hope that you will find answers to all your questions by reading our article. As, we tried to mention every detail related to Gear Icon in QuickBooks. In case, still you have any queries you can ask us via chat or call.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How can I find the Settings icon in QuickBooks?
- To initiate, head towards the top right corner of QuickBooks.
- Select the Gear icon.
- A new window will pop up.
- Just choose Account
- Thereafter, tap on Settings.
2. What to do if receive an error after tapping the gear icon?
If you have encountered this issue then make sure to contact the support team of QuickBooks for further assistance and guidance.
3. Why cannot I locate the gear icon in QuickBooks Online?
It could be happened due to the compatibility issues between the different browsers. However, you can resolve it easily by following the above solutions.
4. Where is the gear icon on the QuickBooks desktop?
To access the gear icon, you must follow these steps.
- Access the QuickBooks desktop.
- Head towards the right side of the screen.
- Try to find out the gear icon between company names.
- It is also known as a wheel and setting icon.
- So, you can find it out through their resemblance.