QuickBooks Error PS033 generally occurs during the opening of the company file or downloading of the latest update of payroll. QuickBooks Payroll service is very helpful software that assists different businesses to track and manage their payroll module. QuickBooks is helpful accounting software that has gained much popularity among small and medium businesses. It is a user-friendly software that sometimes shows errors like QuickBooks Error PS033. The error might also occur due to the corrupted file in the folder CPS and hence the user is unable to open the company file. If you are facing the same error then it is important to solve the issue because it may cause you to lose the data.
We will discuss the cause of the error, general symptoms that users face while experiencing the error, and also the solution to resolve the QuickBooks Error PS033. However, before directly discussing the method to fix the problems let us first understand the error and why it occurs in the first place. Read the whole article to clear your confusion.
What is QuickBooks Error PS033?
You might face the Payroll Update Error PS033 if you have some damaged or corrupted company file on your system. The error generally occurs during updating the newest version of payroll or while the user tries to open the damaged company file.
If you are facing the PS033 QuickBooks Error then you might be receiving the following messages, “Error PS033 is caused by a damaged file in the CPS folder” or “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033].”
Causes of QuickBooks Error PS033
Now let us have a look at the main reasons for the occurrence of QuickBooks PS033 Error.
- The error may occur due to the renaming of the CPS folder.
- It also might occur because of the corrupted and damaged CPS folder files.
- You can also get the error due to the deactivation of the Payroll Subscription.
- If the user’s Payroll Subscription is inactivated, chances are he/she might face the PS033 error QuickBooks.
- The corrupted or damaged QuickBooks desktop files might also be causing the error to arise.
- QuickBooks Error PS033 might also be occurring due to the invalid and incorrect Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Sometimes the invalid or incorrect entering of PSID in the company file also results in the error arising.
- Your system might be incompatible with the latest version of Windows.
- If there is some error in the inactive Direct deposit agreement (DDA) the notification of the PS033 error QuickBooks.
- You might be unable to apply for the newest product update which might be causing the QuickBooks error PS033.
It is very important to ensure that the user has an active subscription for a Payroll subscription and also should have the downloaded payroll tax table. You may receive the message of the PS033 error QuickBooks if using an outdated payroll tax table or a deactivated Payroll subscription.
Resolve the QuickBooks Error PS033
Now since we know the triggers and causes for QuickBooks Error PS033, let us discuss the solution to the error. There are various ways to solve the issue. So if you are facing any error then read each of the solutions very carefully.
Solution 1: Download and Update the Latest Payroll Tax Table
To resolve the problem using this method, you have to update the payroll tax table to get rid of the problem.
- First, you have to open the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Then go to the option of Employees and click on it.
- Click on the Get Payroll Update on that list.
- Click on the download button of “entire payroll update” to update the latest version.
- Tap on the option Update.
- After successfully updating, the Window of the software will appear.
Solution 2: Rename the folder of QuickBooks CPS to Resolve QuickBooks Error PS033
Changing the name of the QuickBooks CPS folder would also help you solve the QuickBooks Payroll update error PS033. The renaming of the file would help to identify the damaged folder in the CPS folder. Below are the steps to Rename the folder.
- First, click on the “This PC” icon on your desktop.
- Then search for the files of the Intuit software under the QuickBooks 20XX (where XX is the version of the QuickBooks).
- Tap on the option of Components.
- The above step will provide you with a drop-down list, select the Payroll button.
- Under the list of the Payroll, choose the CPS file.
- Now try to Rename the CPS folder to CP SOLD.
- Try to download or update the QuickBooks Payroll Tax Table to finish the process.
Solution 3: Turn Off User Account Control (UAC)
Turning off the UAC might sometimes help the user to solve the issue after updating or downloading a QuickBooks Payroll. So follow the steps below to solve the PS033 error QuickBooks.
- Press the Windows + R button on the keyboard together to open the Run Command Box.
- On the search bar type Control Panel and tap on the Enter button.
- Choose the option User Accounts tab from the Control Panel.
- Then go to the User Accounts and click on it.
- Tap on the option Change User Account Control Settings.
- Now go to the button Never Notify and then tap on OK to Disable the User Account Control.
- Lastly, update the QuickBooks Payroll software.
Solution 4: Restart and Troubleshoot in Safe Mode
If the solution did not help you to solve the problem then try to follow these steps.
- First, you have to run a verify in the QuickBooks Desktop App and then Rebuild Data.
- Try to update the software of QuickBooks Desktop to the newest version of it.
- Now restart the computer in safe mode.
- Update the Payroll Tax table.
- After successfully updating, restart the computer.
- Open the software to check if the issue has been solved or still occurring.
You can Also Find, Methods To Troubleshoot Quickbooks Error 15240
Solution 5: Rebuild Data and Verify it
If you are still facing the same error after attempting all the above solution. Then try to follow the steps below.
- First, open the software QuickBooks.
- Tap on the File Tab.
- Select the option of Utility and then click on the Rebuild Data.
- You might get the warning message to backup, click on the OK option.
- Now save the company file backup on your device.
- Click on the Enter key and then hit the OK button to save the file.
- It may take some time, and after that tap on OK.
- You have now successfully Rebuild the file.
- Verify the data to check if there is any more damaged data in the file.
- Tap on the File Tab and then go to the Utility Option.
- Hit on the Verify Data button.
- After following the above steps if you got no error then back up the folder.
- Go to the File option and choose the Restore option.
- You have successfully applied the Fix.
Hopefully, the article was helpful in solving the QuickBooks Error PS033. However, if none of the above-discussed solutions helped you to resolve the issue you are facing, then it is recommended that you should directly contact the customer service of the QuickBooks software. The user can easily access the Helpline Number from the official website of QuickBooks.