QuickBooks is one of the most reliable software in today’s world. The software has lots of features that make the tasks of big and small businesses easy. It helps the user to manage the information of the vendors, customers, taxes, payments, transactions, etc. As in today’s world, running a business is difficult if you do not have a proper financial arrangement. But with high reliance, there come some bugs at times hindering your accounting work.
In this article, we will talk about QuickBooks Error 15240 and all related information. So if you are dealing with the issue and cannot use the software conveniently, then be with us till the end.
What is QuickBooks Error 15240?
This error 15240 displays when you are downloading the latest version of QuickBooks software or when a user is trying to update Payroll. Then the user might get an error message “Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully”. But you will be able to solve this by using any of the solutions that we have mentioned below.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 15240
Before learning about the different solution methods to resolve the error, we would discuss the causes and triggers of the QuickBooks update error 15240. As we would understand the reasons for the error 15240 QuickBooks, it would also help to solve the issue more effectively. So below are a few points that might be causing this error in your software.
- You might be using the outdated version of the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- To perform particular actions on the QuickBooks Desktop your Windows users must have admin rights.
- If you are using QuickBooks in a multi-user environment, then you might face the error 15240 while updating the QuickBooks.
- The windows might have some registry errors.
- You might have some improper Internet Explorer security settings.
- The incorrect time and data of the device might also be the reason for error 15240 QuickBooks.
- The third-party anti-virus software is interrupting or restricting the downloading of the latest version of the software.
Read Also: How to Set up Multi-User Network in QuickBooks Desktop?
There are different types of signs and pop-up messages while facing the QuickBooks Error 15240. Some of the error messages that might be displayed are, “Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully” or “Internet connection error: unknown error.”
If you are facing such error messages then consider reading the points below.
- Verify your PC screen is displaying the correct date and time at the bottom left corner. If not then try to change it.
- Check if your system has the latest QuickBooks Desktop Updates.
- Make sure that you log in with the user account that has the administrative right to install or download QuickBooks.
- Try to turn off the firewall antivirus while updating the payroll.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Update Error 15240
We will now discuss the symptoms of the QuickBooks error 15240.
- The user will not be able to install the latest update of QuickBooks.
- You might get a failed notification of the payroll update.
- You would not be able to do the payroll.
- The error code 15240 QuickBooks is displayed on the display screen.
- Due to the error 15240 QuickBooks, the user might face crashing of the system
- The Windows could respond very slowly to the inputs of the keyboard and the mouse.
Solutions for the QuickBooks Error 15240
There are many solutions that might help the user to resolve the issue of QuickBooks Update error 15240.
Solution 1: Give QuickBooks the Administrator Rights
It is very important to change the administrator rights of Windows and provide it to QuickBooks. Otherwise, the third-party software might restrict you from using the QuickBooks application properly.
- Search for the QuickBooks software icon on the desktop and then click on it.
- Then select the option “Run as Administrator” from the drop-down list.
Solution 2: Reinstall the QuickBooks software with Clean Install Tool to Solve the QuickBooks Error 15240
The junk in the QuickBooks software might also cause the occurrence of the error. Hence the process will help to get rid of the accumulated junk over a period of time. However, before clearing the junk or reinstalling the software make sure that you have backed up the company file to avoid losing any data.
- To follow the process, you first need to uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop from the system.
- Now go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the Installation Issues option.
- Select the new version of QuickBooks and then choose the option Continue.
- Click on the OK button when you get the pop-up message “Please install your copy of QuickBooks to the default location.”
- After that try to manually rename the QuickBooks Desktop installation folder.
- Once you have successfully followed the above steps, now try to reinstall or download the QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 3: Check the Date and Time of the System are Correct
Ensure that the date and time of the desktop are accurate. Otherwise, the error code 15240 QuickBooks also might occur due to the incorrect time and date. To correct the settings follow the following steps.
- Go to the Control Panel of the system.
- Search for the option of Change date and time settings.
- Change or modify the Date and Time accordingly.
- Now tap on the Apply and then OK button to change.
Solution 4: Check if the MS Internet Explorer Settings are Correctly set
You may face the QuickBooks error 15240 due to the Internet Explorer settings. So to solve the issue follow the steps below.
- Go to Internet Explorer.
- Now tap on the Tools menu and then select the Internet options.
- Look for the Advanced Tab.
- Scroll down the list after clicking on the advanced settings and search for the options SSL2.0 and SSL3.0.
- Make sure that you have checked both boxes.
- Tap on the Apply option and then OK.
Solution 5: Verify the Security Software Settings are Tuned
The third-party software of anti-malware and security software interfere while you are working on the QuickBooks which results in the QuickBooks Update Error 15240. Hence make sure that the settings of the software are such that it does not restrict the workflow in QuickBooks.
Read Also: Resolve QuickBooks Error 15107 (7 Effective Solutions)
Solution 6: Check the Third-Party Firewall while resolving the Error 15240
Make sure that you have been given access to the QBW32.exe folder and QBUpdate.exe file to go through the firewall.
To configure the Firewall Manually follow the following steps.
- Open the Start menu in Windows.
- In the search bar type Windows Firewall and open the window for Windows Firewall.
- Choose Advanced Settings.
- Now tap on the option Inbound Rules and choose New Rule.
- From the list select Port and then tap on the Next option.
Hopefully, the article was helpful to you in solving the Error. If none of the above solutions succeeds to resolve your issue then try to contact the customer service of the QuickBooks software. You can easily get the Helpline Number from the Official website of Intuit QuickBooks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why does QuickBooks Error 15240 occur?
- The windows might have some registry errors.
- The incorrect time and date of the device.
- The third-party antivirus software is interrupting or restricting the downloading of the latest version of the software.
Q2. How do I turn off the auto-match in Quickbooks online?
- Firstly, tap on Bookkeeping and select Transactions.
- Now, choose Bank transactions and click on the Reviewed option.
- Then hit on Settings and Turn Off or On the Automatic matching switch.
Q3. How do I run a file doctor in QuickBooks?
- Go to the Tool hub and choose Company File Issues.
- Tap on Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Wait for a few minutes till the tool runs.
- At the end check your company file.
Q4. How do I uninstall QuickBooks?
- Tap on the Windows Start option and select the Control Panel.
- Then choose to Uninstall a Program.
- After this click on the version of QBs you want to uninstall.
- Lastly, hit on Uninstall and press Remove.