QuickBooks Error the File Exists is one of the most common errors faced by many active users. Customers shared that they have confronted these errors while working on the software like opening a state/federal, scheduled liabilities, and downloading payroll update.
QuickBooks is known as one of the best retail managing software around the globe. The features of the applications provide a wide range of assistance to effortlessly manage the inventory. However, the users also face time to time errors while using the software. In this article, we will discuss the error ‘QuickBooks Error The File Exists.’ Many QB users have expressed that the issue is very irritating and affect their productivity.
In this article, we would discuss different features and problems related to the QuickBooks Error The File Exists including the solution so that you can use the software without any disturbance. Hence without further ado, let’s get directly into it.
What is QuickBooks Error The File Exists?
While working on the accounting feature, the users might face the error. The problem mainly arises during opening a state/federal form or paying liabilities or downloading the payroll update. When your system experiences any such error, a warning message pop-up on the screen. There could be plenty of reasons for the arising of the error. Read the whole article to know the solution of the QuickBooks error the File Exists and why does it occur?
Reasons for QuickBooks Error Message The File Exists
There are a few factors that could be the reasons for the occurrence of the File Exists error. Below is the list, take a look as it is important to know the cause of the problem before solving it.
- One of the main reasons for the error could be a low or inactive Internet connection on the system.
- The outdated and improper Firewall could also cause the arising of the issue.
- You might be using the outdated QuickBooks Desktop software file, which might be causing the problem.
- The Internet security settings of your system might wrongly be configured.
- The user might be getting interrupted by Windows User Account Control and hence facing the QuickBooks Error The File Exists.
- The improper installation of the QuickBooks software could also arise the issue.
- Users with the application do not have admin rights.
The Windows Error was the File Exists QuickBooks
There are a few instances when the users got the message of the QuickBooks error the file exists. Let’s discuss them in the following points:
- When the user tries to download the updated Payroll service.
- The message of the File Exists can also pop up on your device screen while printing from QuickBooks.
- The File error might show the message during the launch of state of federal forms.
- You might also face the issue while scheduling the liabilities and the error occurs abruptly.
When the user got a flash message of the File Exists error, the message reads:
“The specific file that you have requested cannot open. Confirm, if it is not used by some other program or a read-only file.”
How to Fix the QuickBooks Error The File Exists
As of now, we know the reason for the occurrence of the QuickBooks Windows error was the file exists. We will now discuss the solutions to resolve the error so that you can have a better experience. So let’s begin!
Solution 1: Check the Internet Connectivity
The Internet is one of the main factors that the user might be getting the problem in the first place. So if you have a weak or inactive internet connection you need to fix that first. Below are the points that would help you to solve the problem.
- Open the Window of the default browser and try to open a domain.
- If you have active Internet connections then the page will effectively open. However, you might face problems if the Internet server is not properly working, and that could be the reason for the obstruction.
- Ensure that the settings of SSL are not fallible.
- Try to check there are no dropped Internet packets. You can do that by verifying the latency of the network.
- When you are performing the above steps, you should use the default browser of the
Solution 2: Update the QuickBooks Desktop Application
Update the latest maintenance release of QuickBooks to get rid of the existing error that could be the reason for the existence of the File Exists error in QuickBooks.
- First, launch the QuickBooks Desktop software and then look for the option Product Information under the Help tab.
- After which you will get a drop-down list and select the update requirement according to your choice.
- Tap on the Search button and click on the option Latest Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Save the file to an accessible location and then tap on the installed file twice to continue the update process.
- Restart the computer after finishing the procedure.
- Now try to perform your basic task to check whether the QuickBooks error the File Exists is being resolved or not.
Solution 3: In the Windows Settings Turn-off User Account Control (UAC)
If solution 2 does not help you to solve the error then follow the following steps.
- Press the keys Windows + R together to open the Window Run.
- Now search for the Control Panel in the Run Window and then tap on the OK button.
- In the Search Bar at the top of the Control Panel search for User’s Accounts.
- Select the option of Change user account control settings.
- Hit on the Yes button and then turn off the UAC after clicking on the never notify option.
- Restart the PC and then update the QuickBooks Payroll.
Solution 3: Allow Full Control Access
This process will assist the user to resolve the error. If the above solution did not help you to solve the File Exists error then try this method.
- On the Desktop tap on the QuickBooks icon and then choose the option Properties.
- Tap on the Open File Location in the Menu and then delete the entire file address.
- Select the Properties option on the QB Folder.
- Under the Security section, look for the option Edit and then click on Add.
- Choose Everyone and tap on the button OK.
- Now select the option Full Control option and tap on Apply.
- If you have followed the above steps, reboot the system to complete the process and then try to work on the QuickBooks file to check whether the error is still there or has been resolved.
Solution 4: Resolve File Exists Error While Printing
If none of the above following gives you a positive result, be patient! The steps below might solve your issues, have a look.
- Press the keys of keyboards Windows + R together to open the Run tab.
- Now on the search bar type Control and then hit Enter.
- Select the option Devices and Printers.
- Press the Device option and choose to Remove on the printer.
- Exit from the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now open the tab of Task Manager. You can also press CTRL + ALT + DEL on the keyboard together for the shortcut or you can also open the tab from the taskbar.
- Look for the file “QBW32.exe” and click on it.
- To complete the process tap on the Yes option, when the confirmation appears on the screen.
- Now go to C Drive and click on the Program Data. Then click on QuickBooks in the Intuit file. You can also follow the navigation as C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\(QuickBooks_version)\TSPrinterSettings\.
- Now look for the file “QBPRINT.qbp.” and then delete it.
- Try to print again after rebooting the system.
Solution 5: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX File with the help Reboot.bat File
Reboot.bat is a utility that re-registers the crucial installation of QuickBooks that will help in resolving the errors like “File Exists.” Follow the steps below to solve the problem.
- First, you have to leave the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Click on the QuickBooks icon on the system and then select the option of Properties.
- Select the Open File Location and search the folder of Reboot.bat.
- Click on the file Reboot.bat and then tap on Run as Administrator.
- Wait for a moment after performing the above steps. Let the black command scroll through all the QuickBooks files and then automatically exit.
- Restart the Windows and then check if the error of File Exists is resolved.
Solution 6: Re-install the QuickBooks Desktop
- Press the keyboard button Windows + R together and then open the Run box.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” in the search box.
- Tap on the QuickBooks twice and then select it to Uninstall.
- Then you have to follow the on-screen instruction to remove the software QuickBooks from the device.
- Once deleted the existing application, install the tool from the authorized website.
- Save the file on your PC.
- If you have successfully followed the above steps then you are ready to use the installed QuickBooks software.
We have discussed six solutions to resolve the issue of the QuickBooks error the file exists. However, if none of them helped you to solve the problem in your system then try to connect to the Customer Support of Intuit QuickBooks. If the article was informative and helpful, consider reading other articles on our website.