Quickbooks without any doubt is incredible accounting software that includes numerous tools and features. The software has gained tens of thousands of users by providing tools to handle the financial tasks of the companies. Developed by Intuit, this software has benefitted many small and medium-sized company owners.
Even with such features, we can’t deny that Quickbooks does encounter some errors and bugs, after all, it is a man-made tool. According to the users, they have encountered “QuickBooks Error The File Exists” error many times while working on the software. Users shared that, this error comes up while opening a state or a federal form, making payments of scheduled liabilities, and downloading the latest payroll update.
After receiving this error, the software stops responding to the commands and starts running slowly. This leads to an interruption in your work which ultimately wastes your time and money. Your screen keeps on flashing a notification reading- “QuickBooks Windows Error The File Exists.” So, it is important to fix this issue instantly so that you could resume your work. In this informative post, you will read about Quickbooks Error The File Exists, its symptoms, reasons for the issue, and proven solutions to fix it. Keep reading…
Brief Introduction Of Quickbooks Error The File Exists
Quickbooks Error Message The File Exists, often occur while opening a federal/state form or making liabilities payments and downloading the current payroll update. Once you receive this error, a warning notification comes on the screen. Many factors are responsible for the occurrence of the error which is discussed in depth below.
Causes Of Quickbooks Error “The File Exists”
It is a standard error, so, many factors are responsible for this issue to take place. So, below some of the most common reasons are mentioned to clear your doubts.
- Inactive Internet connection is a major reason behind this error.
- Improper firewall configuration setup.
- Opening multiple files in your system at the same time.
- Using an old/outdated version of the QuickBooks software.
- Inappropriate installation of the QBs software.
- Improper configuration of the system’s internet security.
- Windows User Account Control also interrupts QuickBooks software.
- You don’t acquire administrator account access.
So, now you have understood the causes, now, you will be able to fix the Quickbooks error THE FILE EXISTS easily.
Go-To Steps to Repair Quickbooks Error The File Exists
Before implementing the detailed solutions, let’s learn some go-to steps to fix the “Windows Error was the File Exists QuickBooks”. Read the fixation steps below.
- Press “OK” repeatedly until the error texts get 100 % updated.
- Close the program first and then open the QuickBooks software once again.
- Make sure to download the current QuickBooks version to avoid more errors.
- Close the application again.
- Restart the PC.
- After restarting, make a right-tap on the QBs software and select “Run as Administrator.”
Repair the Quickbooks Error The File Exists? Proven Solutions
The QuickBooks error message the file exists is inevitable but fixable. You can repair it using the solutions mentioned below. But before you implement these methods save a backup of your data to prevent any data loss. Follow each step attentively and conduct the steps in order. So, let’s learn the solutions to kick out this troublesome error permanently from your device without delaying further.
Solution 1: Disable User Account Control
Here is how to perform the steps:
- The first step is to access the “Run” page window by holding Windows + R.
- Write “Control Panel” in the box and hit “OK.”
- Reach out to the “User’s accounts.”
- Now, tap on “User Account Control Settings.”
- After that, tap on “Yes” and disable User Account Control.
- Then, restart the PC and update Quickbooks Payroll.
If the above steps could not help you better, jump towards the next troubleshooting method to kick out the “Quickbooks Error THE FILE EXISTS.”
Solution 2: Update Quickbooks Desktop
Most of the errors occur because of using an old/outdated Quickbooks version. It is important to update the software from time to time because When you update the software, it receives more features, tools, and bug fixes. This is how half of the errors get fixed. Look at the steps:
- Firstly, open the QBs desktop software.
- Go to the option “Help.”
- Tap on the “Product Information.”
- Now, a list will come on the screen, you need to choose the right year and version from the list.
- Tap on search and then choose “Get Updates.”
- Save the files in a place where you can access them hassle-free.
- After the above step, install the file appropriately by following the instructions appearing on the window.
- When the installation is finished, just reboot your system.
- After restarting, you have to launch the application with administrator rights. Reach out to “Program” and tap on “Run as Administrator.”
- Open the software to confirm that the “Quickbooks Windows Error The file exists” is Fixed.
Solution 3: Verify the Internet Connectivity
The Internet connection is one of the major factors that contribute to “The Windows Error Was The File Exists Quickbooks.” So, it is important to check the connection before working on the software. In case, you have an unstable or poor internet connection, then fix that first. Follow these steps to do so:
- Access the “Default browser.” Type any URL to open a domain.
- In case, you have stable Internet connectivity then the window will open the page instantly. But if the Internet server isn’t functioning properly, then the error will take place.
- Make sure that the SSL settings aren’t configured improperly.
- Confirm that you don’t have any dropped Internet packets. Verify the network latency.
- Make sure to use Internet Explorer while applying this solution.
Solution 4: Providing Full Control Access
You must have full control access to get rid of the “Quickbooks error THE FILE EXISTS”. The steps involved are:
- First of all, make a right-tap on the QuickBooks icon.
- Select “Properties.”
- Tap on “Open File Location.”
- Here, remove the entire file address.
- Right-tap on the QuickBooks Folder.
- Choose “Properties.”
- Inside the “Security” option, tap on “Edit” and choose the “Add” option.
- Select “Everyone” and hit “OK.”
- Choose “Full Control” and click on “Apply.”
- To conclude the process, reboot the system and start working on your files to check if the “Quickbooks The Windows Error Was the File Exists” is fixed.
Solution 5: Re-registering .DLL and .OCX files of Quickbooks via Reboot.bat File
The crucial installation process of the software gets re-registered by using Reboot.bat. It helps in resolving “QuickBooks Error The File Exists.” Following are the steps:
- The foremost step is to close the Quickbooks Application.
- Now, Right-tap on the “QBs icon.”
- Select “Properties.”
- Tap on “Open File Location.” Look for the folder containing “Reboot.bat file.”
- Reach out to the folder having the file and “Run it as an Administrator.”
- Now, a command prompt will open and immediately close up.
- After that, “Reboot” your PC and check if the “Quickbooks The Windows Error Was the File Exists” is repaired.
Solution 6: Re-installing the QuickBooks Software
- Hold “Windows + R” together to access the “Run” box.
- Write “appwiz.cpl” in the run box.
- Tap twice on QuickBooks and choose “Uninstall/Change.”
- Step by step, follow carefully the on-screen instruction to uninstall the QuickBooks software from your device.
- Once removed, download and clean install the application from Intuit website.
- Save the downloaded (.exe file) file and follow instructions coming on your screen Ito install it.
- Agree to the “Terms and conditions” along with “License Agreement” to conclude the process of installation.
- Lastly, tap on “Finish.”
Solution 7: Repairing “The File Exists” Issue while Printing Forms
If none of the above solutions helped you then carry out the advanced steps below:
- Tap on Windows “Start” and hold “Windows + R” to access the “Run” box.
- Write “Control” in the box and hit “Enter.”
- Choose the option of “Devices and Printers.”
- Here, make a right-tap on the “Device” and choose “Remove” on your printer having issues.
- Now exit from QBs Desktop.
- Open “Task Manager” by holding “CTRL + ALT + DEL.”
- Find and right-click on the QBW32.exe process inside the tab “Process”.
- Click “Yes” on the prompt appearing on your screen to end the Process.
- Now, visit C drive >> Program Data >> Intuit >> QuickBooks (for QBs Premier users) or you can also follow C:\ Users\ username\ AppData\ Roaming\ Intuit\ (QBs_version)\TSPrinterSettings\ (for QBs Enterprise users).
- Locate and remove “QBPRINT.qbp.” file.
- After that, reboot your system and attempt to print again.
We hope that this article is informative enough to repair “Quickbooks error THE FILE EXISTS” on your own. The solutions mentioned above are easy to perform and any non-technical user can also execute the steps. However, if you need more guidance about solutions or have any query then you can contact Quickbooks Support Team. The experts are available 24×7 to help you clear up your queries.